This chicken thigh recipe is easy, flavorful, and satisfying. You can use chicken breasts instead of the chicken thighs, but I prefer to use chicken thighs because I find them to be more moist and flavorful.
If you do not want to use heavy cream, you could try coconut milk and/or coconut cream instead. I personally have not tested this recipe with coconut milk, but I do plan to test it in the future.
If I have homemade chicken bone broth on hand, I would most definitely use that instead of store bought chicken stock. Homemade bone broth is known to boost your immune system, treat leaky gut syndrone, overcome food intolerances and allergies, and Improve joint health. That is why I love to use bone broth!
Tarragon Chicken and Rice Recipe
- 1.2 LBS boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 medium onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 3 carrots chopped
- 2 stalks celery
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tbsp dried tarragon
- 1 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper powder
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2-3 handfuls fresh spinach
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup fresh dill
- freshly grated parmesan
- If serving with rice or other grain, start the rice/grain first. It will take a good 25-40 minutes to cook.
- Take chicken out of the fridge, season with kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper. Chop vegetables.
- Heat olive oil in a stainless-steel pan or cast iron pan over medium-high heat. Place chicken in a heated pan, salted side down. Salt and pepper the other side the chicken. Sear/brown both sides of chicken. About 4-5 minutes on the fist side. Only cook for 1-2 minutes once you flip them over.
Do not cook the chicken all the way through. Don’t worry if there is some chicken sticking to the pan, that will create flavor in the sauce. After both sides are seared, place the chicken on a plate to rest.
- Turn down heat to medium. Add onions, saute for 3-4 minutes. Add garlic, saute for 1 minute. Add carrots, celery, and salt. Saute for another 5 minutes. Add all seven spices. Stir for 1 minute. Add broth. Scrap the bottom of the pan to loosen the chicken bits at the bottom.
Let cook for 8-10 minutes.
- Add spinach, cream, and chicken. Saute for another 2-4 minutes, or until chicken is fully cooked. Do not overcook the chicken.
Serve over basmati rice. Top with fresh dill and freshly grated parmesan.
The Cayenne and Paprika adds a flavor depth. The nutmeg adds a nice cozy, warm element to the dish. Whenever spinach is added to a dish, it welcomes the addition of nutmeg. Tarragon adds a unique anise almost liquorice flavor to the dish. It pairs well with chicken. Because the rest of the dishes ingredients are classic ingredients like onions, celery, and carrots, you can add Tarragon without overpowering anything. The background of the dish hums along while the Tarragon dances effortlessly with the nutmeg and rich chicken flavors. The onion celery, and carrots serve as the stage.
Recipe created by: Esther Curry – esthercurry.com